Posting in BBcode does not work

This forum is for questions, comments and requests related to this Bulletin Board.

Posting in BBcode does not work

Postby Len Wood » 2012 Mar 01, 20:47

I have written my Winter and Dec, Jan, Feb monthly values in a Table using the BBCode generator at
http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode- ... rator.aspx
Then I copied and pasted as instructed.

But you can see the result below. No table.
I thought this forum accepts BBCode, and it states BBCode is on in the right margin when logged in.

I think many members would like to put their data in tables for clarity, and the above tool has the potential to make this simple.
Please could the administrator find out why BBCode is not accepted?

[table]
[tr]
[th]Month/season[/th]
[th]Rainfall mm[/th]
[th]% of average[/th]
[th]Mean max temp C[/th]
[th]difference from ave[/th]
[th]Mean min temp C[/th]
[th]difference from ave[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]December[/td]
[td]105.1[/td]
[td]76[/td]
[td]10.5[/td]
[td]+0.2[/td]
[td]5.8[/td]
[td]+1.3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]January[/td]
[td]76.3[/td]
[td]69[/td]
[td]9.7[/td]
[td]+0.2[/td]
[td]5.1[/td]
[td]+0.6[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]February[/td]
[td]36.8[/td]
[td]43[/td]
[td]8.6[/td]
[td]-1.4[/td]
[td]4.6[/td]
[td]-0.3[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Winter[/td]
[td]218.2[/td]
[td]63[/td]
[td]9.6[/td]
[td]-0.3[/td]
[td]4.6[/td]
[td]-0.3[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Re: Posting in BBcode does not work

Postby Admin » 2012 Mar 02, 18:27

I'm taking a look. This software is incredibly obscure. After half an hour of searching menus within menus and looking at the guidance (neither of which are clearly laid out) I found the place where Admin can decide whether BBCode is on or off. It was on. So that's that, but we're no further forward. I've spent another half hour going round in circles try to see if BBCode is mentioned anywhere else, but I've not yet found such. If you try a search box, all you get is references to people's questions in forums.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » 2012 Mar 02, 18:57

Let's try. Is this bold? Well at least something works.
Here's an attempt at Table:
[table]
[tr][td][u]This should be underlined.{/u][/td]
[td][b]And this one is bold.{/b][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Winter[/td]
[td]218.2[/td]
[td]63[/td]
[td]9.6[/td]
[td]-0.3[/td]
[td]4.6[/td]
[td]-0.3[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
End of table.

Let's try some html:
<table><tr>
<td>This is some html.</td>
<td>Second line.</td>
</tr>
</table>

Hmm. Puzzling. So we've established that BBcode does work, but only some of the codes.

There is a facility to create your own codes. This seems a strange idea, because surely you can only INCLUDE codes that are already in the BBCode library, and in that case, why are they not included anyway? I'll look further!
Last edited by Admin on 2012 Mar 03, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Developing.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » 2012 Mar 03, 22:06

I cannot find anywhere to tell me what BB Codes are available for use. I can find 2 places where they tell you how easy it is to create your own BB codes in terms of HTML; it looks pretty complex to me. As for using HTML, I can find no mention of it, and my example above did not work.

If, in the Admin cotrol panel, I click on BBCodes, I get this:

BBCode is a special implementation of HTML offering greater control over what and how something is displayed. From this page you can add, remove and edit custom BBCodes.

Tag Action
There are no items yet.

There is nothing more, except a button you can press to design your own BBCodes. This process seems extremely complex: it appears to define BBCode in terms of HTML.

In the textual guidance, all I can find is on the following page:
http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentat ... osting.php

BBCodes are a special way of formatting posts, similar to HTML. phpBB 3.0 allows you to create your own BBCodes very easily. On this page, you can see the custom BBCodes that currently exist.

I don't understand the last sentence; I can see no such list.

Adding a BBCode is very easy. If done right, allowing users to use your new BBCode may be safer than allowing them to use HTML code. To add a BBCode, click Add a new BBCode to begin. There are four main things to consider when adding a BBCode: how you want your users to use the BBCode, what HTML code the BBcode will actually use (the users will not see this), what short info message you want for the BBCode, and whether or not you want a button for the new BBCode to be displayed on the posting screen. Once you are done configuring all of the custom BBCode settings, click Submit to add your new BBCode.

I give up on this. If you or anyone else would like to work on this, I will be pleased to appoint you as Deputy Admin!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Len Wood » 2012 Mar 04, 09:40

Thanks for trying.
I think you got about as far as I did.
Most frustrating.

I was wondering if the creators of phpBB communities would offer advice to the Administrator.

We don't really need to post in BBCode but to crate a table would be useful and in fact is common in phpBB communities evidently, as sports groups use them
to display laegue tables as I understand so it must be possible surely.
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Postby Martin Rowley » 2012 Mar 04, 10:16

Len Wood wrote:Thanks for trying.
I think you got about as far as I did.
Most frustrating.

I was wondering if the creators of phpBB communities would offer advice to the Administrator.

... I can understand the frustration! I don't have an answer, but as I understand these things, the whole idea of these bulletin board generic software releases is that individual administrators shouldn't have to do all this rooting about! BBCode is standard part of the resource so someone will have the answer straightaway: all I can suggest is to post a query in the section appropriate here:.....

http://www.phpbb.com/community/

it seems to be pretty lively and 'active': the only thing that they are hot on is to have/give as much information on the problem as possible.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Postby Admin » 2012 Mar 05, 16:52

as I understand these things, the whole idea of these bulletin board generic software releases is that individual administrators shouldn't have to do all this rooting about! BBCode is standard part of the resource so someone will have the answer straightaway: all I can suggest is to post a query in the section appropriate here:.....

http://www.phpbb.com/community/

it seems to be pretty lively and 'active': the only thing that they are hot on is to have/give as much information on the problem as possible.

Martin.

I will look into this, but not for a few days. If anyone would like to follow it up, please feel free to do so.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Bulletin Board