Suggestions for new forums, topics etc

This forum is for questions, comments and requests related to this Bulletin Board.

Suggestions for new forums, topics etc

Postby Darren Rogers » 2011 Nov 27, 21:34

(This post edited by Admin, as I can't make a posting that will appear above this one!)

This topic is for suggestions for forums that might be created. This would be done by Admin. If you want a particular topic, you can just create it yourself. But if you propose a system of naming topics, which is a good idea in this case, this is a good place to discuss it. Admin.

Like our 'Cumbrian Weather Forum' that some of us in this part of the world use, would it be best to have one new topic per day, basically with the date as the title and we all add our own stations data to it?

It would avoid having lots of single posts for each individual stn for each day.
Darren Rogers
Maulds Meaburn
Cumbria (Half way between Shap and Appleby)

http://www.mauldsmeaburnweather.co.uk
Darren Rogers

Location: Cumbria - half way between Shap and Appleby in the Eden valley

Re: SUGGESTION

Postby Martin Rowley » 2011 Nov 28, 09:27

Sounds like a sensible idea; what happens in practice? Does the first person posting on a day set up the heading etc? Do we try to adopt a standard subject order (to make searching back for information easier ... e.g., do we need to agree on a particular date style?

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Re: SUGGESTION

Postby Darren Rogers » 2011 Nov 28, 10:25

I just guess that the first poster of the day creates a new topic of, for eg: 'Monday 28th November 2011'

and we all then add our daily obs to that.

Re style and searching - I guess that is up to the individual (and/or consensus) but I guess the usual stuff of min/max/Grass min/30cm Soil/Rain/present weather code (PWC)/ cloud cover - and anything else of relevance

If for eg: there is a lot of snow or a hurricane on Friday (once the forum is well established) there will be a hell of a lot of entries for that day and maybe that is the best way for searching.
I guess that over time people will add new topics for discussion and these may then in some way correspond with a 'weather event' - but basically i guess that time will tell.

Searching - guess that then would be by the date
Darren Rogers
Maulds Meaburn
Cumbria (Half way between Shap and Appleby)

http://www.mauldsmeaburnweather.co.uk
Darren Rogers

Location: Cumbria - half way between Shap and Appleby in the Eden valley

Proposed forum: Daily reports

Postby Admin » 2011 Nov 29, 22:32

I see this Bulletin Board mainly as a means to discuss events, rather than as a place to catalogue all your data day by day. So quote whatever data you need to illustrate your point, but don't get into any formal system of quoting all your ob in a specified order. (But that's just my view, if people really want to catalogue their data day by day, we'll look for another place to do it.)

I will set up a forum called 'Daily Reports'. Then the first person who wants to write something for Nov 27 should start a thread "Nov 27", etc. The idea is that this be for any comments about the day's weather or sequence that would have general interest, illustrated by whatever data you wish.
Admin
Site Admin

DATE FORMAT

Postby Admin » 2011 Nov 29, 22:43

I have set up the forum to show dates as : 2011 Nov 27, 20:22. This is what astronomers and most scientists use, and I think it is the most logical because, just like decimal numbers, it starts with the biggest measure and progresses to the smallest.

It seems however that a different system may be the default, and in any case you can change it for yourself so that, when you are logged in, it shows the date in whatever format you personally like. Anyway, I propose that the dates in the titles in Daily Reports should be referred to as "Nov 27", "Dec 02", etc.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for new forums, topics etc

Postby Mike Brown » 2011 Dec 03, 18:51

May I add my plea to the list and ask that perhaps a section on equipment could be included. Not just yet another forum about automatic weather stations, but taking into account 'traditional' equipment, its use, maintenance, sourcing of spares and supplies etc. Perhaps also including a For Sale section? I wonder also if you are considering some form of photo gallery for all those special images that may occur?

Best wishes

Mike
Mike Brown

Postby Martin Rowley » 2011 Dec 04, 13:53

... A good suggestion; perhaps an "Equipment & procedures" list for example.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Postby Admin » 2011 Dec 06, 15:51

Bolton le Sands wrote:May I add my plea to the list and ask that perhaps a section on equipment could be included. Not just yet another forum about automatic weather stations, but taking into account 'traditional' equipment, its use, maintenance, sourcing of spares and supplies etc. Perhaps also including a For Sale section? I wonder also if you are considering some form of photo gallery for all those special images that may occur? Mike

I have set up forums on equipment and procedures.

For sale section: I will wait for other opinions; I guess the forum is indeed a good place to announce your sales and wishes?

Photo gallery: This is outside the scope of the Bulletin Board and my expertise; I will copy your post to the COL forum (if I can!)
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Bulletin Board