September 2014 - The First Half

This forum is for comments about the weather spanning several days, developing phenomena eg drought, comparisons with previous years, local climatic features eg Cheshire Gap showers, and anything that does not fit any of the other forums.

September 2014 - The First Half

Postby Nick Gardner » 2014 Sep 15, 18:16

September 1st - 15th:
Mean minimum = 10.9°C
Mean maximum = 22.3°C
Mean = 16.6°C
Rain = 0.0 mm
Sunshine = 105.3 hours.

The consistency of the day maximum temperatures has been somewhat noteworthy with a standard deviation of just 1.2. The warmest day was 24.1°C and the coldest day 20.1°C.

The sun has shone on everyday and there have been 3 cloudless days. No rain since the 29th August and the soil is now very dry. Having to water the veggie plot to keep things alive - recompense is that this has been one of the best years I've known for tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, chillies etc. Still over-run with 'em.

A beautiful end to what has been overall a beautiful summer (if a little dry at times during June, July and now September).
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalley.co.uk
Nick Gardner

Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Re: September 2014 - The First Half

Postby Len Wood » 2014 Sep 16, 08:56

I add my post here from Daily discussion on the same subject

First half of September:

1st to 15th

Mean max 20.6C
Mean min 12.5C
Mean 16.6C

Rain total 1.5 mm (on 1st)

Rather different from last year when it was
18.8C and 10.8C respectively and rain total 27.2mm.

It is remarkable that we have the same mean temperature Nick.
You have had higher maxes, we have had higher mins in this part of Devon.
You may have had slightly more sun than here. I only have my solar panel output to go by.
It has been pretty good nonetheless although with early low cloud on a few recent days.
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Re: September 2014 - The First Half

Postby Nick Gardner » 2014 Sep 16, 19:06

Len Wood wrote:Rather different from last year when it was
18.8C and 10.8C respectively and rain total 27.2mm.

It is remarkable that we have the same mean temperature Nick.
You have had higher maxes, we have had higher mins in this part of Devon.

September 2013 1st - 15th:
Mean minimum = 9.5°C
Mean maximum = 20.4°C
Mean = 15.0°C
Rain = 21.6 mm
Sunshine = 81.3 hours.

Yes Len, very different to last year when September was very warm in the first week then went cool with quite a few very chilly nights. There was a bit of a recovery but overall the month's mean temperature was just 15.2°C. And there was only 114 hours of sunshine for the whole month making it not only a cool September but also a dull one. I suspect that I will pass the 114 hours' mark tomorrow (17th) for this year's September adding to what has been a rather sunny and warm year so far.

Don't forget Len, I live at the bottom of the River Otter valley with hills either side, so cooler temperatures by night and warmer ones by day at this time of year. But it is interesting that our mean temperature works out the same so far for this month. My mean temperature for the 1st - 15th September 2013 was 15.0°C and yours was 14.8°C, so not too different.
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalley.co.uk
Nick Gardner

Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Return to Everything Else Weatherwise