Met Office SYNOP station: Altnaharra 03044

This forum is for comments about the weather spanning several days, developing phenomena eg drought, comparisons with previous years, local climatic features eg Cheshire Gap showers, and anything that does not fit any of the other forums.

Met Office SYNOP station: Altnaharra 03044

Postby Eddy Graham » 2015 May 11, 20:56

I had the good fortune to pass by and stop briefly at Met Office 03044 Altnaharra SYNOP station last week. I've included some photographs below of the site location. Altnaharra, of course, shares the record (with Braemar) of the lowest air temperature recorded in the UK (-27.2C on 30 Dec 1995; see Burt, 1997)

Although I could only spend 10 minutes at the station, my immediate impressions were the following:
- The site does not lie in a narrow glen, but rather near the lowest bridging point of a broad, sweeping vista of mountainous moorland; the mountains of NW Scotland are scattered, and do not encircle the entire site
- The nearby river is quite large and is fast-flowing, which surely moves /mixes the air in the direct contact with it (as many Alpine rivers do)
- My overall impressions were of a well-chosen site given the obvious limitations of the remote location. There is a copse of trees a few hundred metres to the SW. Altnaharra village itself (just to the south) has a population of only ~50.

The approach to Altnaharra from the east, looking west (the met enclosure lies immediately to the right of the barn)
tn_ScreenShot001.jpg
tn_ScreenShot001.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 980 times

View from the south-east:
tn_ScreenShot002.jpg
tn_ScreenShot002.jpg (18.5 KiB) Viewed 980 times

View from the NW (Ben Kilbreck [962m] is snow-covered in background)
tn_ScreenShot003.jpg
tn_ScreenShot003.jpg (28.81 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Eddie Graham, Stornoway

Reference:
Burt, S. (1997). The Altnaharra minimum temperature of -27.2C on 30 December 1995, Weather 52: 134-144.
Eddie Graham
Stornoway, Na h-Eileanan an Iar (Outer Hebrides), Scotland.

Stornoway town COL station, 20 AMSL, local records back to 1873.
Hebridean Weather Blog: http://bit.ly/1IFAPJa
Twitter Weather Feed: https://twitter.com/eddy_weather
Eddy Graham

Return to Everything Else Weatherwise