8th June - 'Drought' Continues....

This forum is for comments about the weather spanning several days, developing phenomena eg drought, comparisons with previous years, local climatic features eg Cheshire Gap showers, and anything that does not fit any of the other forums.

8th June - 'Drought' Continues....

Postby Nick Gardner » 2015 Jun 08, 17:48

Whilst putting the last of the chillie and cucumber plants in the veggie plot today I noticed that the soil is bone-dry even a foot down.

And no wonder - there has only been 12.6 mm in the last 25 days (4.4 mm this month so far (1.4 mm - 1st & 3.0 mm - 2nd)) and most of that rain was very light making it dust dampening only.

The low humidity of the last few days and the high amounts of sunshine have made the dry situation even worse. One bonus, the lawns seem to have stopped growing and are even looking a bit brown in places. Then again, they often do this in June and July (scorching from the sun).

Rather sunny since the 3rd, June sunshine total now at 75 hours.
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalley.co.uk
Nick Gardner

Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Re: 8th June - 'Drought' Continues....

Postby Len Wood » 2015 Jun 12, 22:02

Today's total of 21.3 mm has ensured no drought here in Wembury.

The total so far this month to 12th is 39.3 mm which is well up to average.
Average for June is about 60 mm.

Not a lot of rain in the forecast for the week ahead though, so perhaps the month as a whole will be below average.
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Postby Len Wood » 2015 Jun 22, 19:04

After today's rain of 3.9 mm we have a total for the month of 46.2 mm.
That is 80% of the June average 1981-2010.

Have had 15 days without rain so far to 22nd, so it feels like a dry month.
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Postby Nick Gardner » 2015 Jun 22, 19:55

Len Wood wrote:Have had 15 days without rain so far to 22nd, so it feels like a dry month.

It really feels like a dry month here Len. Then again, June and July often are 'dry' months with the grass going brown for long periods nearly every summer (though I suspect 'scorching' is also behind this). Reminds me of when I was a PhD student at Brum Uni, I used to regularly travel down to visit friends in Southsea, Portsmouth. The grass and countryside always seemed lush and green around Brum but driving down to Southsea there was a change to much drier conditions south of Reading and the final few miles to Southsea itself saw the countryside and fields take on a definite parched look. It seemed that grass was nearly always brown in the summer in Southsea.

4.9 mm of rain today brings the monthly total to 19.6 mm and 17 days without any rain (1st - 22nd).

The frequent low humidity and fairly sunny, breezy conditions seem to have created a very high soil moisture deficit. The forecast hints at something more humid later this week which my cucumber and chillie plants will appreciate!
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalley.co.uk
Nick Gardner

Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Postby greg_gruner » 2015 Jun 22, 20:12

Interesting, observation, Nick, about the grass at Birmingham and Southsea. The Met Office climate maps (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate) seem to bear this out - and summer convective rain typically falls inland and leaves the coast dry. I think also the higher sunshine will make a difference.

Last night's rain brought my monthly total up to 22.8mm (with prob 3-4mm in the gauge to be measured tomorrow). Still just over half the average for June. I expect to be watering the garden this week!
Greg Gruner
Farnborough, Hampshire
greg_gruner

Return to Everything Else Weatherwise