First day of summer

This forum is for comments about the weather spanning several days, developing phenomena eg drought, comparisons with previous years, local climatic features eg Cheshire Gap showers, and anything that does not fit any of the other forums.

Re: First day of summer

Postby Richard Hunt » 2012 Jun 26, 18:31

I've just done a few searches and ALL say summer offically starts on JUNE 21. It goes equinox to equinox as I said in a previous post(s). This has always been the case.
For weather realated matters summer begins JUNE 1.
COL Station: 25020.

Watson W-8681 AWS. Standard Stevenson Screen. Maximum and Minimum screen thermometers. Grass minimum thermometer.
5" Copper standard rain gauge. Roof mounted annemometer.
Richard Hunt

Postby Martin Rowley » 2012 Jun 26, 18:33

... Gentlemen!

If you've been reading newsgroups etc., as long as I have, particularly weather-related ones, you'll know that this subject comes up time and time again: and no-one 'wins', yet tempers fray.

I suggest we move on.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Postby greg_gruner » 2012 Jun 26, 19:58

I was brought up on the "June 21st summer start" definition (and for the other seasons), and now I use June 1st as most meteorologists do. But what interests me is the origin of the idea of starting the seasons on the solstices/equinoxes, who came up with it and how it became adopted as "official" (well, at least popular). It seems to me an interesting combination of astronomical (using solar points as delimiters) and meteorological (recognising the temperature lag).
From climatological averages I have seen, the temperature lag varies from 2 to 3 weeks in very continental areas such as Siberia to 6-8 weeks in very oceanic areas such as islands (reflecting the SST lag). In the UK, some exposed coastal areas in the west have their coldest/warmest months as Feb/Aug, implying that the lag is at around 6 weeks in such areas; but 4-5 weeks is probably more typical of the UK as a whole.
Greg Gruner
Farnborough, Hampshire
greg_gruner

Postby Richard Hunt » 2012 Jun 26, 20:44

It's purely astronomical why the 21st is the start of summer. The sun appears overhead at the tropic of Cancer which is 23° latitude, and this is also the earths axis tilt. Summer is deemed to have begun at that point. Thats where I think the origin comes from. Weather it's cold, hot, or warm at that time makes no difference.

I don't think it's a case of 'winning' or anything like that, I was told on here that I was wrong, when even a brief internet search proves otherwise.
COL Station: 25020.

Watson W-8681 AWS. Standard Stevenson Screen. Maximum and Minimum screen thermometers. Grass minimum thermometer.
5" Copper standard rain gauge. Roof mounted annemometer.
Richard Hunt

Postby Len Wood » 2012 Jun 30, 16:01

I wish I knew when summer starts.
I might take my holidays then.

:-(
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Previous