Guardian article

This forum is for comments about the weather spanning several days, developing phenomena eg drought, comparisons with previous years, local climatic features eg Cheshire Gap showers, and anything that does not fit any of the other forums.

Guardian article

Postby Tudor Hughes » 2012 Jul 12, 02:49

More options Jul 11, 3:06 pm

Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 07:06:43 -0700 (PDT)
Local: Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:06 pm
Subject: Guardian article
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this author
In today's Guardian (Wed 11/7) there is a piece about the weather, mainly
flooding, but it also says this: "The Met Office published research
that showed that recent extreme weather events were closely linked to
man-made climate change" and quotes Peter Stott of the Met Office in
similar vein.
It would be interesting to see the original papers. Can anyone help me to find them?

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham, Surrey
Tudor Hughes

Re: Guardian article

Postby Martin Rowley » 2012 Jul 12, 08:33

Tudor Hughes wrote:More options Jul 11, 3:06 pm

similar vein.
It would be interesting to see the original papers. Can anyone help me to find them?

You may have seen these links Tudor, so apologies if I'm going over old ground, but from the original Met Office press release here:-

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releas ... he-climate

it links to this joint Met Office/NOAA-NCDC document here ....

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/ ... -et-al.pdf

which was published by the AMS. Mind you, my reading of that particular paper (there are of course many references at the bottom which I haven't ploughed through), is that they are very careful NOT to attribute all 'extreme' events to 'man-made' climate changes. The Guardian may have mis-quoted, or put their own slant on the interview that they undoubtedly did with Stott. I thought the paper was reasonably balanced.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Postby Stephen Burt » 2012 Jul 12, 08:35

Tudor, there is a press release on MO website:

This refers to the original papers in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, one of which is online here (8 MB):

There's also an article, and a cover feature, in this week's New Scientist. The article is written by Stephen Battersby, although unfortunately it's closer in style to the Daily Wail than New Scientist, and has no real content.

Wearing my other hat, as Chairman of the RMetS SE Centre, I'm pleased to inform readers in advance of the official meetings notice of the Society that Dr Peter Stott, one of the lead authors of this paper and the UK's leading expert on climate event attribution, has kindly accepted an invitation to present an evening talk to the SE Centre next year. This will take place in Reading Town Hall at 7 p.m. on Wednesday 6 March. All are welcome. More details will appear on the Society's website next month along with the rest of the 2012/13 SE Centre programme.

SB
-----
Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire - central southern England
51.4°N, 1.0°W, 60 m AMSL, station grade A - AAAA47R
Records commenced here 1987 - local records available back to 1862
The Weather Observer's Handbook: www.measuringtheweather.com
Stephen Burt

Location: Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire; a well-exposed rural site, 10 km SW of Reading

Postby Tudor Hughes » 2012 Jul 12, 16:06

Martin Rowley wrote:
Tudor Hughes wrote:More options Jul 11, 3:06 pm

similar vein.

You may have seen these links Tudor, so apologies if I'm going over old ground, but from the original Met Office press release here:-

it links to this joint Met Office/NOAA-NCDC document here ....

which was published by the AMS. Mind you, my reading of that particular paper (there are of course many references at the bottom which I haven't ploughed through), is that they are very careful NOT to attribute all 'extreme' events to 'man-made' climate changes. The Guardian may have mis-quoted, or put their own slant on the interview that they undoubtedly did with Stott. I thought the paper was reasonably balanced.

Martin.

I have now read the paper more or less in its entirety (but not the refs) and agree that it is pretty thorough and fair assessment. The Guardian's interpretation is some way beyond that of the paper, but that's the Guardian for you and I speak as a long-term devoted, if sceptical, reader.
The document's approach is basically statistical and it doesn't go into the much more difficult question of how much circulation types or anomalies may change as a result of a warmer atmosphere.
Being a little pedantic, I could have done without phrases such as "warm temperatures". Sounds a bit illiterate. The temperature is high, the air is warm.

Tudor Hughes.
Tudor Hughes

Return to Everything Else Weatherwise