British Rainfall - scanned copies online, entire series

This forum is for comments about the weather spanning several days, developing phenomena eg drought, comparisons with previous years, local climatic features eg Cheshire Gap showers, and anything that does not fit any of the other forums.

British Rainfall - scanned copies online, entire series

Postby Stephen Burt » 2013 Nov 14, 17:55

The entire collection of British Rainfall 1860-1991 has very recently been placed online by the Met Office - the link is here:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/archive/british-rainfall

As far I can ascertain with only a very quick check so far, all of the publication has been included, including foldout maps, photographs and even some contemporary advertisements. The scan quality appears generally high. Note though that files are large - some are over 30 MB.

This is a great online resource, and the Met Office are to be congratulated for having produced this archive. Hopefully its availability will lead to greater use of this high-quality resource for research, whether into variations in our rainfall over the last 150 years, or just for viewing local rainfall stations and totals to extend or fill gaps in an existing local record.

There’s a minor error in the introduction, which I have pointed out to UKMO and hope they will correct it quickly. Otherwise, 10/10. Next, Met Mag perhaps?

SB
-----
Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire - central southern England
51.4°N, 1.0°W, 60 m AMSL, station grade A - AAAA47R
Records commenced here 1987 - local records available back to 1862
The Weather Observer's Handbook: www.measuringtheweather.com
Stephen Burt

Location: Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire; a well-exposed rural site, 10 km SW of Reading

Re: British Rainfall - scanned copies online, entire series

Postby Martin Rowley » 2013 Nov 14, 21:26

Stephen Burt wrote:The entire collection of British Rainfall 1860-1991 has very recently been placed online by the Met Office - the link is here:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/archive/british-rainfall
<snip>
This is a great online resource, and the Met Office are to be congratulated for having produced this archive. Hopefully its availability will lead to greater use of this high-quality resource for research, whether into variations in our rainfall over the last 150 years, or just for viewing local rainfall stations and totals to extend or fill gaps in an existing local record.
<snip>
SB

... Thanks for pointing that out Stephen. As you write a truly wonderful resource! The number of times I've seen people wanting access to these data but who can't easily travel to the Archives in Exeter.

And thanks are due to whoever slaved over the scanner to achieve the database!

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Postby Richard Hunt » 2013 Nov 15, 20:40

Yes thanks for the link to the data.

Its helped fill in gaps in my records, as I found a gauge less that half a mile away from my present site going back to 1961.

Thanks again.
COL Station: 25020.

Watson W-8681 AWS. Standard Stevenson Screen. Maximum and Minimum screen thermometers. Grass minimum thermometer.
5" Copper standard rain gauge. Roof mounted annemometer.
Richard Hunt

Postby Scott Whitehead » 2013 Dec 17, 10:58

You can also access the excellent Snow Survey - once a separate section in British Rainfall. Such a shame that the actual printed publication ceased after the 1991/92 season

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/archive/snow-survey
Scott Whitehead
Wanstead, East London - 18m N 51° 33' 52" E 00° 02' 25"
Scott Whitehead

Location: Wanstead, East London - N 51° 33' 52" E 00° 02' 25"

Postby brugge » 2013 Dec 23, 19:53

To download the lot will take about 130 clicks and a lot of waiting in between.
I've zipped them all into four files - less clicking and marginally
faster to download.

Contact me if you want to access these.

Roger
r.bruggeATreading.ac.uk
change AT into @
brugge

Return to Everything Else Weatherwise