April showers

Forecasts, comments about forecasts, your own forecasts

April showers

Postby Len Wood » 2012 Apr 08, 16:49

Model output for next 10 days seems to indicate the Azores high having less influence on UK due to a more westerly position.
Unsettled conditions and often a northerly component to the wind.
Some beefy April showers in this unstable flow probable.
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Re: April showers

Postby Julian Mayes » 2012 Apr 09, 10:40

Len,

Writing on behalf of the drought afflicted masses of the South East, I'm surprised this 'good' change in the weather has not been given a bit more publicity, especially in view of how an unstable northerly should deliver heavy showers in the SE in April. It may be hit and miss, but anything will be an improvement on the last month or so. Model output for rainfall today and showers this week has also been quite consistent over the last few runs.

I'm getting a little irritated by newspaper stories of gardeners panicking because of the hosepipe ban. Anyone would think we are forecasting a dry summer and what lies ahead is quite a different matter to the situation we find ourselves in right now. If we have a 'normal' summer, gardeners will be fine - the problem will be the rate of hydrological recovery. Keen gardeners know that established plants do not need to be watered that frequently. I seem to be drifting into a horticultural rant! Meanwhile, let the 'normal' April weather continue.

Regards

Julian
Julian Mayes
Home: West Molesey, Surrey Work: Central London
Julian Mayes

Re: April showers

Postby Len Wood » 2012 Apr 12, 21:02

Yes Julian,
And if you look at the GFS forecast for next week it shows the UK dominated by low pressure.
Considerable rainfall is likely.
Attachments
tues 17 apr.jpg
Forecast for Tues 17 Apr
tues 17 apr.jpg (58.58 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Return to Forecasts