Possible significant storm end this week

Forecasts, comments about forecasts, your own forecasts

Possible significant storm end this week

Postby Martin Rowley » 2011 Dec 11, 16:28

... I suspect that I'm stating the obvious, but this week is going to be dominated by periods of heavy rain and high winds. In particular, the development Thursday/Friday 15th/16th December (2011) has the potential to be an 'exceptional' event, and some ensemble output I've seen suggests we might be looking at the record books for depth of land-crossing lows over the British Isles and perhaps looking back to events such as 1976 Jan 2/3, 1990 Jan 25 (Burns), 1999 Dec 3 & 1999 Dec 24 (not exhaustive).

On a practical level if anyone has got work to secure equipment / infrastructure etc., it would be a good idea to get it done!

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Re: Possible significant storm end this week

Postby Darren Rogers » 2011 Dec 11, 20:13

It certainly seems as though it is going to be a big event - it's happening, it's just the detail that needs to be firmed up.

apart from obvious things i always wonder about just what you can do in preparation - hope and pray?

The only other thing I hope is that on the day itself we don't hear

"These events are becoming more regular due to............".
Darren Rogers
Maulds Meaburn
Cumbria (Half way between Shap and Appleby)

http://www.mauldsmeaburnweather.co.uk
Darren Rogers

Location: Cumbria - half way between Shap and Appleby in the Eden valley

Re: Possible significant storm end this week

Postby Martin Rowley » 2011 Dec 14, 13:22

... After several days 'flip-flopping' it now looks as if we shall escape the dramatically deepening Low crossing central Britain, only to be replaced by a 'scuttler' running along the English Channel! Northern areas have already been battered by strong winds / gales again this week and we've got a day or so yet of strong wind potential in the south.

The focus of interest now is on the interaction of the cold air over northern and central Britain as the low Thursday night pulls away, developing as it does so, and producing a lot of precipitation around its northern and western flanks. There's going to be a good bit of snow it seems ...

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Return to Forecasts