Error in my report in Oct 2012 bulletin

This forum is for discussion of COL in general, not related specifically to this Bulletin Board.

Error in my report in Oct 2012 bulletin

Postby Nicholas Bentley » 2012 Nov 28, 23:30

I thought I should point out that a transcription error has occurred in my data in the October bulletin (I still send in the paper form).

This relates to the unusually early snowfall of the 26th. I reported that a 5mm layer of snow (or really hail) was lying after 9pm and it's appeared in the Snow Events section as 5cm was lying at Redcar at 0900GMT, so quite a discrepancy! I could not have written this as I never use GMT for times!

I understand that a lot of effort goes into preparing the bulletin and that errors are inevitable, but thought this worth pointing out in case somebody is trying to compile data on this unusual event.
Nicholas Bentley

Re: Error in my report in Oct 2012 bulletin

Postby Martin Rowley » 2012 Nov 29, 13:31

Nicholas Bentley wrote:I thought I should point out that a transcription error has occurred in my data in the October bulletin (I still send in the paper form).

This relates to the unusually early snowfall of the 26th. I reported that a 5mm layer of snow (or really hail) was lying after 9pm and it's appeared in the Snow Events section as 5cm was lying at Redcar at 0900GMT, so quite a discrepancy! I could not have written this as I never use GMT for times!

... this is why, in my view, we should have an inflexible method of recording such dimensions. I'm biased here as I was brought up with Meteorological Office practice which broadly runs .... liquid measures in millimetres, solid measures in centimetres. And I believe this still hold for COL reports, though I can't put my hand to the appropriate instruction just now.

So rainfall, water-equivalent of lying snow etc., being a 'liquid', is reported in milllimetres (mm): snow depth, diameter of hail etc., is recorded/reported in centimetres (cm).

If partials of a centimetre are required, then decimals are used, so in your case, 0.5 cm of lying snow. I suspect that whoever transcribed your report was so used to typing snow depths in cm that his/her fingers simply bashed the keys appropriately.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Postby Nicholas Bentley » 2012 Dec 01, 18:49

Martin,
You're probably right about the mm/cm thing, I should have realised this and reported in cm. I will try to remember this in future!
However, this doesn't explain the transposure of the time from 9pm to 9am and the addition of GMT. This is perhaps because I'm not in the habit of using the 24 hour clock and always report in local time, so BST when this applies.
Nicholas.
Nicholas Bentley

Postby brugge » 2012 Dec 11, 21:52

Sorry, this is my mistake. Yes, I always use cm for snow depths
and in the rush to type it probably assumed it to be cm.

Regarding time, I try to convert to GMT whenever possible - but I can see that with
tired eyes that evening I missed the tail of the pm and read it quickly at 9am.

I'll add a correction to the bulletin.

Why not try using the new webform? - it saves on postage and
prevents editorial errors.

Roger
brugge

Return to COL