Devon rain and thunder

This forum is for comments about interesting weather of the day. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there. By all means quote relevant numbers, but please do not post complete obs here.

Devon rain and thunder

Postby Len Wood » 2014 May 19, 13:43

The bright rain echo shown on radar this morning passed us between 11 and 1200 BST.
Only gave 1.5 mm here though.

We had a distant rumble of thunder at about 1215 BST. To the east of us I believe.
The lightning did not show up on the UKMO website or the IOW Newport site which surprised me.
Just shows certain types of discharge are not shown.
Range here is about 150 km from IOW. Not sure how far we are from UKMO detector.
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Re: Devon rain and thunder

Postby Nick Gardner » 2014 May 19, 19:34

Thunder has been rumbling away, on and off for most of the day here though rainfall amounts have been small.

I was at Otterton this morning and there were many loud rumbles of thunder and yet they seem to be coming from a rather bright sky with light coloured cloud rather than the normally threatening, dark ones you would associate with thunder.

We had a rainless 'thunderstorm' at 03:00 today. Lots of lightning and thunder but alas no rain to water in the toms, cucumbers and chillies I planted in the garden over the lovely, cloudless weekend.

It's been a funny ol' day weather wise.
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalley.co.uk
Nick Gardner

Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Return to Daily discussion