Essex deluges, 19th & 20th September 2014

This forum is for comments about interesting weather of the day. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there. By all means quote relevant numbers, but please do not post complete obs here.

Essex deluges, 19th & 20th September 2014

Postby Peter Walker » 2014 Sep 23, 16:57

During the weekend just past, three separate localised thunderstorms deposited large amounts of rain on different parts of Essex, at different times. In Southend, I recorded 50mm, almost all of which fell between 8 and 9 pm on Friday 19th. The following morning, Witham, which is about 25 miles from us, was flooded by a storm around 5 am. My brother, who lives near Billericay, roughly equidistant between the two, recorded 54mm in the early hours of Friday morning.

Before he retired my brother worked for the Essex Water Company, whose Hanningfield plant records a good deal of weather data. He tells me that between the commencement of recording in 1960 to 2012, only one day was recorded in which the total rainfall exceeded 50mm, in September 1968. My brother's house is about 3 miles from the Hanningfield plant. In the past 13 months he has recorded 4 24-hour periods in which the total rainfall has exceeded 50mm, the wettest of these being in July this year when he recorded about 70mm.
Peter Walker

Re: Essex deluges, 19th & 20th September 2014

Postby Len Wood » 2014 Sep 23, 18:45

That is very interesting Peter.
Four periods of intense rainfall in the last 13 months but nothing before until you go back to 1968.

Now the popular belief is that global warming will bring more intense rainfall.
There is no gradual trend, which I think there should be, to this in what you report.

Mind you, heavy rain is often rather localised.
Hanningfield is only one location though so might not be representative of the region.
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Return to Daily discussion