Stornoway Hurricane Force 12 Report - 9/1/2015

This forum is for comments about interesting weather of the day. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there. By all means quote relevant numbers, but please do not post complete obs here.

Re: Stornoway Hurricane Force 12 Report - 9/1/2015

Postby Eddy Graham » 2015 Jan 18, 16:33

Hi Niall,

Great to hear your weather news from Kilkenny! And yes, Hebridean folk certainly are hardy and undaunted by most things, though many would still admit that they were considerably alarmed and frightened during the peak of the hurricane.

Wow, 'westerly' snow as far south-east as Kilkenny: I saw on MODIS Terra that a swathe of snow had spread across Meath, not quite reaching Dublin - but it does happen occasionally - I can recall a few instances of such in Dublin e.g. 25/26 Jan 1990, Jan 1993 (following the 'Braer' Storm), etc..

Here in Stornoway (town), although temps have hardly fallen below zero, we've had 'snow' lying on/off since Sunday 11th Jan (I say 'snow' because most of it falls as graupel rather than as snowflakes). On Monday (12th) evening, we had a spell of heavy snow (5cm) - melting briefly on Thurs 15th during the 'Rachel' storm, only to return again with a thinner 1-2cm since Friday (attached satellite picture from yesterday, Sat 17th, showing the west side of Lewis snow-free but the east covered, a fairly common occurrence) . As soon as the north breeze drops, I expect temps will plummet across the Highlands, as dewpoints are low.

tn_17jan2015_snowy-Lewis+Harris.jpg
tn_17jan2015_snowy-Lewis+Harris.jpg (30.55 KiB) Viewed 292 times

All the best, greetings to the rest of the family
Eddie
Eddie Graham
Stornoway, Na h-Eileanan an Iar (Outer Hebrides), Scotland.

Stornoway town COL station, 20 AMSL, local records back to 1873.
Hebridean Weather Blog: http://bit.ly/1IFAPJa
Twitter Weather Feed: https://twitter.com/eddy_weather
Eddy Graham

Previous

Return to Daily discussion