Coldest night of the winter so far

This forum is for comments about interesting weather of the day. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there. By all means quote relevant numbers, but please do not post complete obs here.

Coldest night of the winter so far

Postby greg_gruner » 2015 Jan 23, 21:06

I recorded -6.0C here at Farnborough. I see that Benson recorded -8.7C. A glorious morning, though, calm and sunny.
This cold spell is now ending - temp is now (2105) 6.6C and rising. My only regret from this spell is that here we had no lying snow. Maybe February will bring some!
Greg Gruner
Farnborough, Hampshire
greg_gruner

Re: Coldest night of the winter so far

Postby Nick Gardner » 2015 Jan 24, 11:54

Aye, it was a cold one. My minimum was -3.9°C which is pretty sharp for here but it was the duration of frost that was more remarkable.

The air temperature dropped below freezing at 19:00 and didn't get back above zero until 11:30 the following morning despite quite strong sunshine. Normally an air frost is long gone by 09:30.

'Cold' spell now over with the temperature overnight getting into double figures (10.3°C at 00:15).
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalley.co.uk
Nick Gardner

Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Return to Daily discussion