Cold night - 25th June 2013

This forum is for comments about interesting weather of the day. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there. By all means quote relevant numbers, but please do not post complete obs here.

Cold night - 25th June 2013

Postby Nick Gardner » 2013 Jun 25, 18:49

A cold night for late June with a minimum of 5.2°C and a grass minimum of 3.8°C.

The compensation was a lovely sunny day and a pleasant maximum of 20.1°C with just a light sea breeze.

Cold June nights seem to occur every year though a temperature less the 6°C is rather uncommon. My coldest June night was recorded at my previous place up the valley and the it was on the 1st of June 2006 with a minimum of just 2.4°C. I know a few people who live in more frost prone areas over in mid-Devon whose runners copped it that night.

Last night doesn't seem to have bothered the toms and cucumbers that are fruiting away merrily. I should soon be picking the cherry toms which will be the earliest for many a year. The sunny end to May and start to June seems to have worked wonders.

A fine summer's evening.

(19:48), 16.0°C, RH 66%, DP 9.7°C, 1030 hPa (S), Wind 3 mph SSE.
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalley.co.uk
Nick Gardner

Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Return to Daily discussion