6th October 2013 - A sunny day at last

This forum is for comments about interesting weather of the day. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there. By all means quote relevant numbers, but please do not post complete obs here.

6th October 2013 - A sunny day at last

Postby Nick Gardner » 2013 Oct 06, 18:25

After what has been quite a gloomy but remarkably mild spell of weather, the sun shone in unbroken glory today. And it was strong sun too despite being rather hazy at times. There was even a light sea breeze that started at around 13:30 and blew gently from the ESE all afternoon.

Minimum = 6.1°C
Maximum = 20.2°C
Sun = 10.5 hours.

It was a cool start, the lowest minimum since 5.4°C on the 7th September and the 3rd coldest morning of the season so far.

This was the first day of unbroken sunshine since the 1st of September.

We're quite used to the humid climate at this time of year, living here in this part of coastal Devon but the dampness/humidity for the last couple of weeks has been something else. This morning there was condensation on the inside and on the outside of the house windows, and these are double-glazed. Three of the four wooden bedroom doors have expanded and now are difficult to close. I am almost tempted to put the heating on to try and dry the air a little though at around 22°C inside at the moment it would turn the house into a sauna.

Outside everything is sopping and the grass is the growing faster than I can ever remember. The runners are lapping up the conditions and I'm picking more beans than at any point over the summer with plenty more to come. And the olive tree is laden with olives, this is going to be a bumper year as it has been for apples, plums, figs, tomatoes and cucumbers.

A calm, clear evening.
(19:25), 16.1°C, RH 91%, DP 14.6°C, 1026 hPa, Wind calm.
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalley.co.uk
Nick Gardner

Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Return to Daily discussion