Record Rain

This forum is for comments about interesting weather of the day. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there. By all means quote relevant numbers, but please do not post complete obs here.

Record Rain

Postby IanCurrie » 2013 Dec 25, 01:18

Happy Christmas to all members.
Here in Coulsdon, Surrey, the 23rd December was the wettest day in my station records back to September 1979. I recorded 71.6mm of rain. This has had a devastating effect in the Mole Valley where severe flooding has occurred. Winds also reached 71mph during the evening of the 23rd. Upstream the river caused the flooding and subsequent chaos at Gatwick Airport's North -Terminal. There have been further moderate to heavy showers during the evening of the 24th and I have just learned that a bridge has collapsed along the course of the river at Flanchford.
I was at Burford Bridge near Dorking,Surrey where people were evacuated from a hotel by boat and cars were submerged in the car park. The river level was worse than the 2000 floods and one has to go back to the remarkable rains of September 1968 for similar scenes.
Ian Currie- Coulsdon and Chipstead Valley
IanCurrie

Re: Record Rain

Postby Peter Walker » 2014 Jan 29, 10:35

I'm a new member - this is my first post.

24th August 2013 was an especially wet day in Essex during which 64mm fell. I've only been keeping records since 22/12/2010, but I believe this to have been the wettest day in Essex for at least 46 years, maybe considerably more. My brother, who retired in 2010, kept a note of the weather records from his 42-year place of employment (Hanningfield Reservoir) and he tells me that during those 42 years there was never anything to compare with the 64mm on 24/8/2013.

As it happens, 11th October 2013 was also a very wet day, during which 33.3mm fell. Those two dates are the only days I have recorded during which in excess of the magical figure "an inch of rain" fell. Those two days represented almost 20% of the total rainfall for Southend 2013.

I recorded only 9.3mm on 23rd December, and 53.4mm for the whole month.
Peter Walker

Return to Daily discussion