Thunderstorm

This forum is for comments about interesting weather of the day. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there. By all means quote relevant numbers, but please do not post complete obs here.

Thunderstorm

Postby greg_gruner » 2014 Jan 03, 20:39

Thunder was heard in Farnborough today, a very loud rumble at 1230. The temperature dropped from 9.8C at 1230 to 6.3C at 1300.
I see from pictures on the BBC website that other places in the SE had hail as well.
Greg Gruner
Farnborough, Hampshire
greg_gruner

Re: Thunderstorm

Postby Martin Rowley » 2014 Jan 04, 10:24

... we had 'thunder heard', typical winter-time "single-flash, 5second-rumble, gone" affairs 03/1146Z and 03/1247Z, the second one was followed by a brief period of small hail mixed in with the rain (moderate-heavy intensity) & there were further hail/rain mixed showers during the evening.

Elsewhere in the SW, I've seen images of hailstones of the size of a pound coin (several) from Somerset - now whilst ours were individual cells coupled to short-waves moving up from the SW, these were associated with a markedly linear development (possibly along-flow convergence) - first seen over Cornwall early in the day which seemed to propagate along the flow - either one or two 'supercell' like efforts running towards the ENE, or, more likely in my view, multi-cell CBs which due to the lack of directional shear along-flow threw out daughter cells.

However, the really interesting thing about all this was what happened over the Low Countries and NW Germany/Rhineland - an 'explosion' of CB activity that I could only liken to a summer-time MCS growth which plastered the sferics display for hundreds of miles. Truly amazing.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Re: Thunderstorm

Postby Graham Easterling » 2014 Jan 04, 14:10

Elsewhere in the SW, I've seen images of hailstones of the size of a pound coin (several) from Somerset - now whilst ours were individual cells coupled to short-waves moving up from the SW, these were associated with a markedly linear development (possibly along-flow convergence) - first seen over Cornwall early in the day which seemed to propagate along the flow - either one or two 'supercell' like efforts running towards the ENE, or, more likely in my view, multi-cell CBs which due to the lack of directional shear along-flow threw out daughter cells.

We had 4 separate thunderstorms in Penzance yesterday (early hours, around 07:45, another cell in the same 'cluster' 08:30, another in the afternoon) together with hail, large at times, enough to cover the ground on 2 occasions. All storms quite brief, but some very close flashes.

Heavy hail @ 11:00 today left the ground covered. Fairly sunny currently. Big sea late yesterday http://www.sennen-cove.com/3jan14.htm , but something potentially significantly bigger on Monday. http://magicseaweed.com/news/Atlantic-C ... ming/5954/ . Big wave surfers will be down on the north coast where the wind should be offshore. 28' forecast for Sennen, some reef breaks (Fistral & Porhleven) could be huge.
Graham

Penzance Weather Station
Grid Ref:
SW464231 - Post Code: TR18 4TP
19m AMSL - Aspect SSE
In a SE - NW orientated valley

23 Years of Penzance Weather Records : http://penzanceweather.atspace.com/weather.html
Graham Easterling

Return to Daily discussion