West Cornwall - Evening Gale, hail, thunder etc.

This forum is for comments about interesting weather of the day. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there. By all means quote relevant numbers, but please do not post complete obs here.

West Cornwall - Evening Gale, hail, thunder etc.

Postby Graham Easterling » 2014 Jan 26, 19:38

A whole series of rain/hail showers in the last 2 hours. (17:30-19:20)

Strongest gust at my sheltered Penzance station 55mph (the highest of the winter so far), 70mph at St Ives, 67mph at Land's End. Thoroughly unpleasant as the temperature has dropped below 5C. The wind sustained enough to qualify for a gale 18:45-19:00 (The 1st of the winter in my sheltered Penzance location - not the case elsewhere in west Cornwall where more exposed locations have had several gales) .

The swell has now exceeded 20ft at Sevenstones yet again, and with the low staying put it's not likely to decrease any time soon.

It's now (19:30) thundering!

UPDATE 21:15 The rather wild evening continues. Further very squally (and very noisy!) heavy hail showers. The drive and road are white with hail. Temperature fluctuating between 4 & 6C.

It's now the wettest January I've recorded in Penzance (Records start 1991).

UPDATE noon 27th. Somewhat quieter conditions this morning, though the swell has been increasing, now 24' . All the boats (bar 1!) off the slip http://www.sennen-cove.com/harbourcam.htm . It's like the 1990s again!
Graham

Penzance Weather Station
Grid Ref:
SW464231 - Post Code: TR18 4TP
19m AMSL - Aspect SSE
In a SE - NW orientated valley

23 Years of Penzance Weather Records : http://penzanceweather.atspace.com/weather.html
Graham Easterling

Re: West Cornwall - Evening Gale, hail, thunder etc.

Postby Graham Easterling » 2014 Jan 29, 20:23

The event seemed very localised, Culdrose & Camborne recording windspeeds well below those of Penzance to Land's End. It wasn't just one squall, but a sustained period of strong winds with violent squalls embedded.

Notably a single bolt of lightning affected power supplies across the Land's End peninsula (turned off my computer!) and put out the telephones in Sennen (where they are still out of action 4 days later). Strangely broadband is working where the telphones are not. The associated thunder was very loud in Penzance, and loud 10 miles to the west near Land's End, a single but powerful strike.

This from the Sennen Cove Diary
The winds increased throughout the day and by late afternoon were starting to peak at seventy miles per hour. Combined with this heavy hail showers swept in. Later on, during a particularly heavy hail shower, we were visited by a bolt of lightening and a loud peel of thunder shortly before the lights went out. The power was restored a minute or two later and allowed us to watch the increasing ferocity of the wind and showers. There was rain, more hail, some snow and a few cats and dogs I would not be surprised. I think we still have a roof; I will check in the morning.

It's quite possible there was some wet snow, the temperature dropped to 3.8C at that time in Penzance.
Graham

Penzance Weather Station
Grid Ref:
SW464231 - Post Code: TR18 4TP
19m AMSL - Aspect SSE
In a SE - NW orientated valley

23 Years of Penzance Weather Records : http://penzanceweather.atspace.com/weather.html
Graham Easterling

Return to Daily discussion