West Cornwall - Huge North/South coast temp difference

This forum is for comments about interesting weather of the day. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there. By all means quote relevant numbers, but please do not post complete obs here.

West Cornwall - Huge North/South coast temp difference

Postby Graham Easterling » 2014 Mar 13, 17:06

With sea fog plaguing the north coast, and virtually unbroken sunshine on the south, at 15:00 today, to the nearest degree:-

Camborne 7C
St Ives 7C

Away from the fog
Culdrose 14C
Penzance 15C

So 8C difference in about 4 miles (as the crow flies) between Penzance & the just inland of the north coast. Must be spring! I have been 10C warmer than Camborne on a few occasions in May. (There are also occasions when the situation is reversed!)

Some favoured local places must have hit 16C, say the dunes at Praa sands. John Chappell's site just south of Land's End hit 15.9C. Warmest day of the year on parts of the south coast, one of the coldest on the north!
Graham

Penzance Weather Station
Grid Ref:
SW464231 - Post Code: TR18 4TP
19m AMSL - Aspect SSE
In a SE - NW orientated valley

23 Years of Penzance Weather Records : http://penzanceweather.atspace.com/weather.html
Graham Easterling

Re: West Cornwall - Huge North/South coast temp difference

Postby John Oliver » 2014 Mar 13, 19:16

Six miles inland (as the crow flies) from the Dorset coast at Dorchester the temperature today reached 17.0C after a briefly foggy start with the 8am temperature at its overnight low of -0.5C.
The maximum temperature was the highest in my 50 years of data for this early in March.

17.8C was recorded on 15th March in 2011 with my highest March temperature 21.5C on 28th in 2012.

John
John Oliver

Return to Daily discussion