ISSTEVENSON SCREEN - GRAVEYARD FOR FLIES?

For discussion of any observing equipment, from Stevenson Screens and manual instruments to electronic weather stations

ISSTEVENSON SCREEN - GRAVEYARD FOR FLIES?

Postby Darren Rogers » 2012 Apr 25, 12:53

Probably one of the oldest issues going - maintaining your screen.

At present my screen seems to be the No.1 place for all the flies in Cumbria to go and live - bit of a mess - made the big mistake of cleaning it, then giving it a quick spray of fly spray only to see dozens of flies come out of gaps that i didn't even know existed - and then had more cleaning to do!

Any tips for this problem?
Darren Rogers
Maulds Meaburn
Cumbria (Half way between Shap and Appleby)

http://www.mauldsmeaburnweather.co.uk
Darren Rogers

Location: Cumbria - half way between Shap and Appleby in the Eden valley

Re: ISSTEVENSON SCREEN - GRAVEYARD FOR FLIES?

Postby Steve Flitton » 2012 Jun 08, 12:24

Hi Darren
The unfortunate thing about a Stevenson screen is that they make excellent homes for insects and spiders. During the autumn I often see many green lacewing and dozens of ladybirds appear in the screen to hibernate for the winter. Spiders love the small gaps when they are most active. It's all a nuisance to us of course and very difficult to eliminate. Fly spray only works in confined spaces indoors. My only method is to periodically use a pressure washer on its lowest setting to blast away the grime. Its not very convenient as you have to remove all the instruments. Fixed items such as AWS sensors have to be sealed in a plastic bag. The screen having many angles means the water gets blasted in all directions so you need to wear something waterproof! However it gets the job done removing all dirt even in the most difficult to reach areas. Just remember to have the washer on low pressure because the jet is very powerful and can easily strip off paint.
Actually keeping insects out of the screen is nigh on impossible I'm afraid.

Steve
Steve Flitton

Postby Darren Rogers » 2012 Jun 08, 14:47

Thanks for the reply.

For general wiping down of the screen I would recommend baby wipes which are very effective, but at the worst times you could almost be wiping fly muck of every day!

the pressure washer idea sounds useful for a Spring clean 1/2 times per year to get into those nooks and crannies.
Darren Rogers
Maulds Meaburn

Darren Rogers

Postby Richard Hunt » 2012 Jul 22, 19:30

I cleaned mine out today and give it a new lick of paint. Also I replaced the roof as the old one was just about gone. I find a small brush is good to get out all the bits etc between the louvers, then a vacuum finishes off the job. It's looking almost like new again now.
COL Station: 25020.

Watson W-8681 AWS. Standard Stevenson Screen. Maximum and Minimum screen thermometers. Grass minimum thermometer.
5" Copper standard rain gauge. Roof mounted annemometer.
Richard Hunt

Postby Darren Rogers » 2012 Aug 03, 19:18

Painted my screen today and it now almost looks as good as second hand!
Darren Rogers
Maulds Meaburn

Darren Rogers

Return to Equipment