The Weather Observer's Handbook

For discussion of any observing equipment, from Stevenson Screens and manual instruments to electronic weather stations

The Weather Observer's Handbook

Postby Stephen Burt » 2012 Jul 10, 17:31

I'm pleased to announce the publication of my new book, The Weather Observer's Handbook, published tomorrow by Cambridge University Press.

If you think of it as a rewrite and update of the old Met Office Observer's Handbook, crossed with the latest global World Meteorological Organization guidance, practical advice from my 40 years observing experience, equipment reviews, and of course references to COL, you'll get the gist.

More details on the associated website, http://www.measuringtheweather.com, which includes details on equipment reviews (too detailed to include in the book, such as my full Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 review - others to follow shortly) and many useful downloads, Excel templates and worked samples from the book, and the like.

The book's retail price is £28 paperback, £60 hardback: there's a 20% launch offer discount flyer on the website, valid to 31 August. Copies are now in stock at Amazon.com and other US booksellers, copies will be available in the UK in a couple of weeks. Amazon.co.uk and Waterstones.com are taking advance orders. I've included a few advance reviews below.

SB

"This is a very impressive work! … At last there is a comprehensive book on the tricky issue of accurately measuring the weather. This timely publication is a must for anyone in the market for a weather station, libraries, and weather observers of all stripes, both amateur and professional."
Christopher C. Burt (no relation to Stephen), Weather Historian, Wunderground, Inc. and author of Extreme Weather: A Guide and Record Book

“With this marvelous book, Stephen Burt has given us a very practical and helpful guide to installing and using one’s own reporting station. The Weather Observer’s Handbook is an ideal companion to the practice of monitoring the atmosphere.”
Robert Henson, author of The Rough Guide to Weather and The Rough Guide to Climate Change

“We have many amateur members and schools in our Society and I'm often asked if I can recommend a good book to help them in their observing exploits: well now I can. … If you have an interest in observing the weather then this book is as essential as your observing equipment.”
Professor Paul Hardaker, Chief Executive of the Royal Meteorological Society

“I like this book very much. I am a lifelong weather observer and user of weather data both as an amateur and a career professional - spanning the years from manual-only to globally-networked automated observing systems. This book answers so many of the questions I have had over the decades and the many questions I continue to field - from fresh beginners, to experienced amateurs and on to a wide range of professionals. At last I have a single book that I can point people to. It is comprehensive and scientifically rigorous - yet very readable. Thank you, Stephen - well done.”
Nolan Doesken, Colorado State Climatologist, former President of the American Association of State Climatologists, and founder of the Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow network
-----
Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire - central southern England
51.4°N, 1.0°W, 60 m AMSL, station grade A - AAAA47R
Records commenced here 1987 - local records available back to 1862
The Weather Observer's Handbook: www.measuringtheweather.com
Stephen Burt

Location: Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire; a well-exposed rural site, 10 km SW of Reading

Re: The Weather Observer's Handbook

Postby Angus Tyner » 2012 Jul 11, 13:47

I got it early last week and it's fabulous.

It'll probably be winter before I can really digest it but for anyone that has ambitions of compiling a useful weather monitoring data-set, it really is a must.

Congratulations Stephen!...and thank you!
Ashford Co. Wicklow
Met Eireann Climatological station number 975
COL station number EI018
My Weather Station
Angus Tyner

Postby Mike Brown » 2012 Oct 10, 11:39

I could not agree more. I am slowly ploughing through the wealth of information in the book. Although an amateur and professional meteorologist for a great number of decades I am still learning lots. up to date, well planned and a must for anyone who has or may be getting a weather station of any form. Thank you so much Stephen for all your hard work on this. i know that it will be used and appreciated by many, many people.

Best wishes

Mike
Mike Brown

Postby Stephen Burt » 2012 Oct 11, 07:37

Thanks for the kind words ... nice to know it's useful!

It would help me enormously, by the way, if anyone likes the book to post a short review on Amazon. Thanks to the others who have already done so - it's much appreciated.

More content will follow on my website shortly - I'm working on interim reviews of a Davis Instruments Vantage Vue AWS, which I've had in place since June, and a new type of simple plastic raingauge developed in the US (p 137 in my book).

SB
-----
Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire - central southern England
51.4°N, 1.0°W, 60 m AMSL, station grade A - AAAA47R
Records commenced here 1987 - local records available back to 1862
The Weather Observer's Handbook: www.measuringtheweather.com
Stephen Burt

Location: Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire; a well-exposed rural site, 10 km SW of Reading

Return to Equipment