Darton recording rain gauge

For discussion of any observing equipment, from Stevenson Screens and manual instruments to electronic weather stations

Darton recording rain gauge

Postby Keith Johnson » 2012 Jan 28, 10:41

Can anyone help with finding operating instructions for A Darton Recording rain gauge. I have many, many met books (collecting them is a bit of a drug) but cannot find it mentioned in any of them.
Located Birsay, Orkney (Lat: 59' 6.7' N: 03' 13.8'W)
Records in Orkney began 1827: My record began 2000.
Climate observer for Met Office.
Keith Johnson

Re: Darton recording rain gauge

Postby Stephen Burt » 2012 Jan 28, 13:48

Keith, there are only a few basic models of recording raingauge, and I imagine it is one of those, simply sold under the Darton brand.

I would hazard a guess that it's a natural siphon model: these were quite popular in the early years of the C20, after which the Dines tilting siphon became the most widely used model. You should be able to find descriptions of the natural siphon gauge in older instrument books; I'm pretty sure it's in Middleton's classic Invention of the meteorological instruments, but if you don't have a copy or can't find it elsewhere let me know and I'll check my sources for you.

SB
-----
Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire - central southern England
51.4°N, 1.0°W, 60 m AMSL, station grade A - AAAA47R
Records commenced here 1987 - local records available back to 1862
The Weather Observer's Handbook: www.measuringtheweather.com
Stephen Burt

Location: Stratfield Mortimer, Berkshire; a well-exposed rural site, 10 km SW of Reading

Re: Darton recording rain gauge

Postby Keith Johnson » 2012 Jan 28, 23:14

Stephen
Thanks for the info.
The model I have is a tipping bucket arrangement and I think it needs a small repair to get it working hence my desire for some instruction. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the book you mentioned so I will look out for it

KJ
Located Birsay, Orkney (Lat: 59' 6.7' N: 03' 13.8'W)
Records in Orkney began 1827: My record began 2000.
Climate observer for Met Office.
Keith Johnson

Return to Equipment