New Maximum thermometer.

For discussion of any observing equipment, from Stevenson Screens and manual instruments to electronic weather stations

New Maximum thermometer.

Postby Richard Hunt » 2014 Mar 19, 17:30

I have just bought a new solid stem maximum thermometer and I am finding it difficult to reset it.
It was reading 60°C when I unpacked it, and after a long afternoon shaking it about it now reads 55°C.

The gap between the bulb and the constriction will not close up no matter how much I wave it about, am I been stupid and doing something wrong or shall I send for a replacement?.

Any clues would be great.

Cheers.
COL Station: 25020.

Watson W-8681 AWS. Standard Stevenson Screen. Maximum and Minimum screen thermometers. Grass minimum thermometer.
5" Copper standard rain gauge. Roof mounted annemometer.
Richard Hunt

Re: New Maximum thermometer.

Postby Martin Rowley » 2014 Mar 19, 22:05

Richard Hunt wrote:I have just bought a new solid stem maximum thermometer and I am finding it difficult to reset it.
It was reading 60°C when I unpacked it, and after a long afternoon shaking it about it now reads 55°C.

The gap between the bulb and the constriction will not close up no matter how much I wave it about, am I been stupid and doing something wrong or shall I send for a replacement?.

Any clues would be great.

Cheers.

... at first reading, it sounds as if the constriction has been manufactured too 'tightly': it needs to be of the 'right' bore - too much (or broad) and the thermometer behaves like an ordinary instrument; too little (or narrow) and you have the problem described. I would leave it a couple of days - /gently/ trying to shake the mercury thread down - it may be that adjustment to more normal temperatures might just allow resetting correctly. If no advance after a couple of days though, I'd be contacting the supplier.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Re: New Maximum thermometer.

Postby Richard Hunt » 2014 Mar 20, 07:20

Thanks for that Martin, I've been shaking it constantly but it still reads around 55°C.
I'm going to ring Russell this morning and ask them.

Thanks for the reply.
COL Station: 25020.

Watson W-8681 AWS. Standard Stevenson Screen. Maximum and Minimum screen thermometers. Grass minimum thermometer.
5" Copper standard rain gauge. Roof mounted annemometer.
Richard Hunt

Return to Equipment