Naming of groups etc.

This forum is for questions, comments and requests related to this Bulletin Board.

Re: Naming of groups etc.

Postby Martin Rowley » 2012 Feb 15, 09:32

Admin wrote:There remains: Posts related to several days (eg length of a dry spell), comparisons of the week with last year, local peculiarities (eg location of sea breeze fronts, illustrated by a recent day). In other words, everything else. The group for these is currently called 'Weather reports', but clearly this name has proved confusing and we need a better. 'Climate' is an over-used word and may be right for some of these things, but not really for wet spells, heat waves etc. <rest snipped>.

... how about: " Commentary, remarks & discussion (weather-related) " ?

I added the 'weather related' in case people started using it to discuss COL, procedures etc.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset [ altitude: 17 m/56' ]
NGR SU 082 023: postcode BH22 0GB
50deg49min15secN, 01deg53min03secW
Martin Rowley

Postby Martin Rowley » 2012 Feb 15, 10:09

Martin Rowley wrote:
Admin wrote:There remains: Posts related to several days (eg length of a dry spell), comparisons of the week with last year, local peculiarities (eg location of sea breeze fronts, illustrated by a recent day). In other words, everything else. The group for these is currently called 'Weather reports', but clearly this name has proved confusing and we need a better. 'Climate' is an over-used word and may be right for some of these things, but not really for wet spells, heat waves etc. <rest snipped>.

... how about: " Commentary, remarks & discussion (weather-related) " ?

I added the 'weather related' in case people started using it to discuss COL, procedures etc.

Martin.

... aha! You'd better ignore that then or your cunning alphabetical scheme will fall apart.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
Martin Rowley

Postby Graham Easterling » 2012 Feb 15, 11:53

Looking back through this thread, there seems to be some support for rather less categories, rather than more, yet we've ended up with 1 more. The 3 weather categories should be just 1, with the thread title doing the rest.

It's all getting a bit complicated for me, I just like to logon, check recent posts & reply/post rather on the spur of the moment. I was going to post some current data & waffle on a bit, but I've ended up here instead!
Graham

Penzance Weather Station
Grid Ref:
SW464231 - Post Code: TR18 4TP
19m AMSL - Aspect SSE
In a SE - NW orientated valley

23 Years of Penzance Weather Records : http://penzanceweather.atspace.com/weather.html
Graham Easterling

Postby Martin Rowley » 2012 Feb 15, 14:50

PenzanceGraham wrote:Looking back through this thread, there seems to be some support for rather less categories, rather than more, yet we've ended up with 1 more. The 3 weather categories should be just 1, with the thread title doing the rest.

It's all getting a bit complicated for me, I just like to logon, check recent posts & reply/post rather on the spur of the moment. I was going to post some current data & waffle on a bit, but I've ended up here instead!

... At the risk of causing dissension, I'm going to go with you Graham: after a couple of weeks of intensive switching between groups, I'm finding it all rather tiresome despite my original suggestion.

I am reasonably happy to have specific grouping for COL matters, instruments etc., but 'weather' in whatever guise should 'live' in ONE group - each subject clearly labelled - daily reports and all. The reader can therefore decide which subject to follow.

BUT, there are over 90 members of this Forum now, and we need a broader cross-section of views.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
Martin Rowley

Postby Ken Cook » 2012 Feb 15, 15:25

I agree with Martin and Graham. Just one group for weather and the title will decide if the reader wants to open it! Too many rules are appearing here, it's putting me off posting!
Ken
Copley,Teesdale
(last day of current spell with 50% snow at the Lead Mill)
Ken Cook

Location: Copley, nr Barnard Castle, Teesdale, County Durham. 253m

Postby Richard Hunt » 2012 Feb 15, 15:59

I too agree on one group for weather and currrent conditions. Any other phenomena for that day could could be on another thread within that group.
COL Station: 25020.

Watson W-8681 AWS. Standard Stevenson Screen. Maximum and Minimum screen thermometers. Grass minimum thermometer.
5" Copper standard rain gauge. Roof mounted annemometer.
Richard Hunt

Postby Len Wood » 2012 Feb 15, 17:41

I never liked Weather reports as a group title.
Glad to see this has gone, but instead we have Current conditions.

The consensus so far seems to be just one group for Current conditions and Daily discussion.
I think it should be called Daily discussion.
Len

Wembury, SW Devon coast
N50.33 W4.13
Altitude 83 m asl
Len Wood

Postby Alan White » 2012 Feb 22, 10:22

If people post their monthly stats., as I have done, in which group would they go?

Or, is this an appropriate forum for monthly stats. when they can be picked up in the COL bulletin anyway?
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
By Loch Long, twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow, Scotland.
Webcam and weather:- http://windycroft.co.uk/weather
Alan White

Postby Martin Rowley » 2012 Feb 22, 10:28

Alan White wrote:If people post their monthly stats., as I have done, in which group would they go?

Or, is this an appropriate forum for monthly stats. when they can be picked up in the COL bulletin anyway?

... On your second point, I would certainly appreciate sight of monthly stats here .. after all it would be at least 3 weeks before the Bulletin appears.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
Martin Rowley

Postby Admin » 2012 Feb 22, 12:30

The COL website has a facility for displaying instantly the monthly statistics of all members who have posted them, and even of printing them out. I designed this item, and I will be the first to accept that it does not work as smoothly as I would like, but Paul Swinhoe is re-designing the site and so we should see an improved version in due course. Being able to see 20 or 50 stations' monthly data tabulated is, in my opinion, many times better than seeing a few isolated ones station by station. Therefore I agree with Alan's thought: that the forum is not the best place for posting these.

I think the same about daily obs, and it would be good if a similar tabulation could be developed for these.
Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Bulletin Board